CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 8, 2010

It's Celiac Disease

Ok, so I was guessing on how it was spelled, and several people have asked if it is with a "c" and it is:

Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in everyday products such as medicines, vitamins, and lip balms.

The only treatment for celiac disease is a gluten-free diet. For most people, following this diet will stop symptoms, heal existing intestinal damage, and prevent further damage. Improvement begins within days of starting the diet. The small intestine usually heals in 3 to 6 months in children but may take several years in adults. A healed intestine means a person now has villi that can absorb nutrients from food into the bloodstream. To stay well, people with celiac disease must avoid gluten for the rest of their lives
(taken from NIH Publication No. 08–4269 September 2008)

Sorry, I hadn't been out on the web to research much yet. I am trying to keep things low key, Michaela is getting very scared and nervous about having the procedure done. I think she is more scared about the IV than anything. Continue with your prayers they all are appreciated.

Love to all.

1 comments:

Tara said...

I'm praying that Miss M will have some answers soon. And that she'll be feeling her usual happy, smily self.

Her symptoms all sound familiar - I went thru all the same stuff about 6 years ago. (except I didn't get down to 102 pounds) After numerous tests, they decided that I was suffering from mega stress - and the result was IBS. (irritable bowel syndrome)

I'm praying for her. I'm praying for you. I'm praying for answers. I'm praying for your girl to be well again.

Love you guys ~ Tara